Thursday, January 3, 2013

I believe


Sammy Habbaz                                                                                                   December 29th, 2012
Ms. Bloom                                                                                                           4-V

I believe in being immortal.
A few years ago I saw the film “Shawshank Redemption”. It is about this guy who was framed for killing his wife and is sent to prison. The movie is about his everyday life in person and eventually his escape to freedom. Right away I deemed this film one of my favorite movies of all time. The only problem I had with the movie is that I didn't quite understand it. There was this one line that bothered me especially. “Hope is a good thing, maybe even the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.” No good thing ever dies? How is this possible? What about those countless, innocent good people, that dies for no reason. I had a hard time actually understanding this line. However, as life continued I found my answer.                                                                                April 27th, 2011 is a day that I will remember for a long time. It started out like a regular day, but soon turn into one of those days that you wished never happened. I remember sitting on my couch watching the hit movie “Lord of The Rings” and enjoying the last day of my spring vacation. Probably like countless students, I was wishing for any reason not to go to school that day. Little did I realize that I would come to regret that wish. In middle of the movie my house phone rang. Even though it was right next to me I did not get up and answer it. The reason for this is that I have come to realize that the only people who call my house phone are those people who need to speak to my parents. So I just let in ring and I heard my mom answer it in the other room. I made the movie louder so I would be able to hear it over my mom’s conversation. However, no noise would be able to shield my ears from what would come next. I heard my mom scream like I never heard her scream before. Not long after that she came running into the den crying. I turned off the movie realizing something bad just happened. My mom told me that a friend of mine from my old school just passed away unexpectedly at age 16. I was in shock, I couldn't believe it. The first thing I remember doing is checking Facebook for some sort of proof. And sure enough, there were posts about this unexpected death. Here was clear proof that the movie didn't make sense. “No good ever dies?” Was my friend not a good person? But after a few months after her passing my answer finally came.                                                       A few of her close friends made a project to keep her morals and voice alive. Through Facebook and the many different yeshivas in the area, these few friends were successful in spreading the morals that she stood for. By doing this they brought the community closer together and kept her memory alive. Now, people that never even met her knew what she stood for. Its been about two years and she is far from forgotten. After all of this happened I finally understood the movie. No truer words have ever been spoken, “No good thing ever dies”.

No comments:

Post a Comment