Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Literary self


Sammy Habbaz                                                                                                       January 30, 2013
Ms. Bloom                                                                                                               4-V
Being a decent author is not an easy task. There are many different components that make up a piece of literature. However, one of the first jobs an author has to do is make the character relatable to its readers. By doing this the author makes the story more likable because it seems more genuine. An author who has achieved this goal is J.K. Rowling. By creating an interesting plot, with relatable characters, Rowling has written one of the most famous young adult books in history. The Harry Potter series was actually one of the first books I have ever read and I enjoyed it immensely. For me, the character that I could most relate to is Harry Potter’s best friend, Ron Weasley.                                                                                                                                               
When we are first introduced to Ron, we see that he is one of the youngest within a family of nine. Nevertheless, being the youngest does not stop him from being one of the tallest in his family. Not only that, but we are told that he has a father that works for his interests rather than for the money. As a result, he lacks certain comforts of a normal family. He gets his older brother’s old wand, robes, and even his pet rat. Ron often feels neglected and overshadowed. We see this on the train going to Hogwarts when his mom makes him a sandwich that he does not like.                                                                                                                                                          As he travels on the train he discusses these problems with Harry. He continues to say that he is nervous about going to Hogwarts. Besides being a new atmosphere that he is not used to, he is scared about not living up to his family name. All of his older brothers made a name for themselves within Hogwarts. Whether they were quidditch captain, a prefect, or just plain funny, they all made a mark on the school. And even if Ron achieves the same thing it is not a big deal because they all accomplished it first. Whatever he does within the school he will be known as the younger brother. This bothers him because by going into a new place he is already expected to be great and he does not think he could live up to his brothers’ name. All he wanted was to be independent and have his own name. However, we see as the series progresses that this is not true.                                                                                                                                              Besides being courageous and a good friend, Ron finds his talents in quidditch, a sport already perfected by his older brother. It can be said, that this affected his mind set while playing the game, resulting in an inconsistency in his performance. On the other hand, when he actually believed he could do well and practiced hard it led to outstanding games.                                        Another aspect that Ron showed expertise was in chess. It was known that Ron was the best chess player within Hogwarts. This was important because he finally found an area he was good in that was not previously mastered by someone in his family. At last he had something that could be attributed to only him. He found his place in Hogwarts and ended up doing well there.
It wasn’t until later in my life that I realized how much my life ended up like Ron’s. First off, just like Ron, I am tall, lanky, and have freckles. I too am the youngest within my family. Although I am only a family of six, my parents often get confused between each family member. I can sympathize with Ron because often enough my mom has made me cream cheese sandwiches; which happens to be one of the few things that I don’t like.                                
Another way Ron and I are similar is that our fathers have the same mindset. They both have jobs that pertain to their interests rather than have a job that pays a lot of money. One of my father’s favorite thing to do is to take pictures, so he became a photographer. As a result there are certain things that my friends have that I do not. Although my dad chose to take this path, it seems to be that we are better off than the Weasley family. Occasionally I would get my brothers old bike or even sometimes share clothes. However, sometimes this was done for convenience rather than for money. But nonetheless I know the feeling of not completely having something of your own. This was one of the reasons why I wanted to get a job and start feeling a little more independent.                                       
            When choosing a high school I decided to go to a school that my brother already attended. Just like Ron, I was walking into a new environment and into a school that my brother already made a name for himself. He was known as being really smart and as a good debater. When anyone found out who I was the first question they asked was if I was as smart as my older brother. Not only that, but many teachers and principals kept on comparing me to my brother. This turned out to be really annoying. All I wanted to do is to be known for the accomplishments of my own and not for being someone else’s brother. So I set out trying to make my own name and started off with debate. Being that this was already my brother’s expertise I often found myself doubting my skills as a debater. If I did well in a debate it wouldn’t matter because my brother was already a skilled debater. So I often didn’t do as well as I could have. But if I practiced enough and concentrated on my own performance, I came out winning the debate. Although this was an accomplishment, I still needed to find something of my own like Ron; I needed to find my chess.                                                                                                                         Finally, I found something that was of personal interest to me and put my debate skills to good use; I wanted to become a lawyer. Testing out my new found interest, I participated in a competitive competition known as moot court. This was a successful experiment and I ended up winning the whole tournament. This achievement was something I could be proud of and was completely my own. As a senior I could honestly say that I ended up succeeding in this new environment and made a name for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment